Initial Application for Licensure
Initial Application Letter of Instructions
Types of Licenses Available
- Standard License - Applicants must have current certification by NBCOT.
An occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant who intends to practice occupational therapy in the State of Nevada may apply for a standard license. A standard license will expire twenty-four (24) months from date of issuance, and may be renewed bi-annually.
The license renewal period begins 60 days prior to the date of expiration of the license.
- Temporary License - Applicants must have current certification by NBCOT.
A temporary license may be requested by an individual who is an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant who is licensed in another state and intends to practice in this state for a period of less than 12 months.
A temporary license will expire six (6) months from the date on which it was issued and may be renewed for one additional 6-month period. A temporary license may be converted to a standard license.
- Provisional License - Applicants must be a graduate of a school of occupational therapy.
A provisional license may be requested by a person who:
- is a graduate of a school of occupational therapy but has not taken or passed the NBCOT examination; or
- an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant who was previously certified by NBCOT but does not have current certification.
A provisional license will expire six (6) months from the date on which it was issued. A provisional license may be renewed for one additional 6-month period. A provisional license may be converted to a standard license when the licensee obtains current NBCOT certification and meets all requirements for a standard license.
Applications and Fees
Credit card payment must be remitted at time of application submission.
License Fee Schedule
|Standard License||$ 400.00||$ 325.00|
|Temporary License||$ 300.00||$ 250.00|
|Provisional License||$ 300.00||$ 250.00|
The Board will charge one-half of the fees set forth for Veterans / Military Spouses.
Applications withdrawn after submission are subject to a non-refundable application processing fee of $150.00.
Required Documentation and Information
An applicant for a license who does not have a social security number must provide his or her individual taxpayer identification number.
Prior to beginning the application please ensure you have all the correct documents. The documents will be required to be uploaded.
- Photograph - No less than 2" x 2". Driver's License is acceptable.
- Verification of NBCOT Certification - Acceptable documentation:
- on-line verification printout from NBCOT; or
- request written verification from NBCOT to be sent directly to the Board.
- Verification of Licensure in Another State - Verification of your license status and disciplinary history must be provided for all jurisdictions in which you have held a license in the previous 5 years. Acceptable documentation for verification purposes:
- Written verification received directly from the regulatory entity; or
- On-line verification printout from official regulatory entity website dated within 10 days of date of application; or
- Electronic verification received directly from the regulatory entity.
Please Note - The Nevada Jurisprudence Exam must be passed prior to issuance of a license. The Jurisprudence Exam is on-line at www.nvot.org and is open book format.
Provisional License Applications
In addition to the requirements for a Standard license; with the exception of NBCOT certification:
- NBCOT Confirmation of Examination Registration and Eligibility to Examine
- Submit request directly to NBCOT with applicable fee. NBCOT forms and applicable fees can be obtained from the NBCOT website www.nbcot.org. Confirmation must be sent directly to the Board by NBCOT.
Additional Documentation Requirements Upon Licensure
- Supervisor Requirement - All COTA and provisional licensees are required to be under the supervision of a Nevada licensed occupational therapist. Within 15 days from start of employment in Nevada, your primary supervisor information must be submitted to the Board.
- Employment Requirement - Nevada employment information must be submitted within 15 days from start of employment in Nevada. Subsequent changes must be reported within 30 days of that change.
- Contact Information Requirement - Personal contact information must be updated within 30 days of a change in name, address, telephone or email address.
What To Expect
Application Processing Timeline
Complete applications are processed within 3-5 business days. Status of license applications can be viewed online at https://www.nvot.org/lic/app/status/index.asp.
Documentation required to complete License Applications must be received within 90 days from date of submittal of the online application.